How do I highlight, copy and paste?
To practice copying and pasting, follow these steps.
1. Open up Word (or another word processing program). Now you have two windows open, one browser and one word processing.
2. Highlight this sentence by left clicking at the beginning of it and holding the mouse button down. Drag the cursor to the end of the sentence, then let go. Do not click again. All your words should look like they have a shadow around them. Now they're highlighted.
It's easy to highlight words.
3. There are several ways to copy words. You can hit Ctrl-C, you can click on "Edit" and then "Copy" at the top of your screen. You can also click your RIGHT mouse button, and then choose the word "Copy." Pick one of these ways, put your cursor (the flashing bar on the screen) on the sentence, and copy the sentence you just highlighted.
4. Minimize this window by clicking the little line in the upper right hand corner.
5. In your Word document, you will paste your words. You can paste in several ways. You can click "Edit" and then "Paste" at the top of your screen. You can click your right mouse button, and then choose the word "Paste." Or you can hit Ctrl-V. Pick one of these ways, put your cursor at the beginning of your Word document, and paste the sentence you just copied.
6. Highlight this sentence.
I just copied and pasted a sentence!
7. Copy the sentence. Choose one of the other ways to copy this time.
8. Minimize this window.
9. Hit enter a couple of times in your Word document.
10. Paste the sentence you just copied. Choose one of the other ways to paste.
11. Highlight this sentence.
I'm getting good at copying and pasting!
12. Copy the sentence. Choose one of the other ways to copy this time.
13. Minimize this window.
14. Hit enter a couple of times in your Word document.
15. Paste the sentence you just copied. Choose one of the other ways to paste.
16. Practice more copying and pasting by doing these sentences, one at a time. You choose the way you like to copy and paste.
So far I've learned
I've learned how to copy.
I've learned how to paste.
I've learned how to work with two windows.
I'm becoming an expert at copy and paste!
17. Now try copying and pasting this picture the same way. You don't have to highlight it, you just have to put the cursor on the picture and click it once before you copy it. Give it a try!
Yay! You did it! Now you're a copy/paste expert. Just keep in mind that you shouldn't copy and paste everything. We'll learn about copyright next week so you'll know when it's okay to copy and paste something and when it isn't okay.
This site created March, 2002,
by Lori Miller, Technology Instructor at
Wacona Elementary School.
Updated February 24, 2003.